Good for you! o(〃＾▽＾〃)o There are numerous reasons why learning any second language is an incredibly rewarding experience, and even more as to why learning Japanese specifically is rewarding.
Some of the good reasons are:
- It broadens your horizons
- It improves your cognitive abilities
- You learn words you to describe things you can’t in English
- It lets you meet new people (Who are incidentally AWESOME people!)
- It’s surprisingly fun to switch languages when no one understands
- Japan has an amazingly rich culture and beautiful locations
- Japanese culture is a great contrast to learn from compared to Western culture
- Japanese people have (in my experience) been very rewarding to talk to
- It’s really fun to see peoples’ reactions when you speak in Japanese
- Japanese Anime voice actors rock!
Some NOT so good reasons are:
- To be rich/famous (Japan has one of the largest NEEDS for natural English speakers and one of the stronger economies out there but that doesn’t mean there aren’t a LOT of people studying the language)
- To Experience anime-land (Sorry to say it, but the land of awakening powers, clothes bursting foods, and dozens of girls flocking to you simply because you care about your well being does not exist. Japanese people are just people… just like us…. oh except the food bit…. ya that is pretty mouth wateringly amazing!)
- To Look down your noses at anyone (Just… don’t okay?)
So now that that’s out of the way.
Why Make this Guide? And Who Are you to Make it?
Essentially, I have been asked a few times now if I could suggest what resources I have been using to study Japanese these last 3 years. I am NOT an expert Japanese speaker, however I AM an expert in being a horrible learner, so if nothing else, if “I” say it’s easy you can know I REALLY mean it! Also, After 3 years of studying on my own I have scoured the internet relentlessly for any and every resource tied to Japanese learning, so if I can help you avoid some of the time I spent searching, I’ve done my job!
So, without further ado! Let’s begin!